Jimmy is a seventh generation North Carolinian born and raised in Greenville, NC. Upon graduation from J.H. Rose High School, he came to Raleigh where he graduated magna cum laude from N.C. State University in 1999 with a B.A. in Spanish Language and Literature and a minor in International Studies. During his studies at State, he studied abroad both in Mexico and Spain, becoming fluent in Spanish. Prior to enrolling in law school at Campbell University, he taught high school Spanish at Athens Drive High School in Raleigh.
In 2004, Jimmy went to work at the Wake County District Attorney’s Office. As an Assistant District Attorney, Jimmy held numerous assignments within the office throughout his more than 12 years as a prosecutor. Spending his first two years in District Court, he managed a specialized Driving While Impaired (DWI) courtroom and also prosecuted in the Domestic Violence unit. During that time, he tried cases nearly every day and handled numerous other pleas and motions hearings.
Around 2006, he moved up to the Superior Court division, where he spent over a decade handling serious felony cases. In his years as an Assistant District Attorney he prosecuted more than a dozen homicides as well as robberies, serious assaults, burglaries, thefts and drug cases. In 2010, he moved to the Felony Drug Unit. As a member and ultimately supervisor of the Drug Unit, Jimmy handled a heavy caseload of serious felony drug cases in both District and Superior Courts. During his time in the District Attorney’s Office, Jimmy tried jury trials resulting in convictions in homicide cases, robberies, felony assaults, felony firearm offenses, drug offenses(including trafficking) and Habitual Felons. In prosecuting numerous evidence suppression hearings he gained valuable experience and knowledge in the area of 4th Amendment search and seizure law that assists him in defending clients today.
Since joining Dysart Willis in April 2017, Jimmy has represented clients in District and Superior Courts in multiple North Carolina counties for charges ranging from murder and serious felonies to misdemeanors and traffic infractions. Whether at the investigation phase or post-charge, Jimmy’s experience has allowed him to help clients to favorable outcomes.
Some examples of successful results include:
- Represented a client in a Superior Court jury trial resulting in the Court dismissing the charge at the close of the State’s evidence
- Represented a client through the investigative phase of sex offense allegations resulting in the case being closed with no charges filed
- Negotiated reduction of felony sex offenses carrying mandatory active sentences to misdemeanors with a probationary sentence
- Negotiated reduction of Cocaine Trafficking and multiple firearms offenses carrying mandatory minimum active sentence to Attempted Trafficking and a probationary sentence
- Negotiated reduction of felony domestic violence charges including Common Law Robbery to a misdemeanor and a probationary sentence
- As a former Assistant District Attorney with over a decade of experience, Jimmy is an experienced criminal litigator who knows the court system and can assist you no matter what criminal charges you face.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- NC Bar Certified Specialist State Criminal Law
- North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2017
- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- J.D. – 2003
- N.C. State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1999
- Major: Spanish
Professional Associations and Memberships
- 10th Judicial District Bar/Wake County Bar Association, Professionalism Subcommittee
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Campbell Law School Mentor Connections Program
Past Employment Positions
- Wake County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney, 2004 – 2017
- Warren, Perry & Anthony, PLLC, Associate Attorney, 2003 – 2004
Request Your Initial Consultation Now
You will never be judged. Let us help you get through this. Available 24/7.