At Dysart Willis, we offer straight forward guidance and personal attention to clients facing a wide range of state or federal criminal accusations. We are proud of the work we do on behalf of North Carolina residents. We believe our results speak for themselves and we welcome the opportunity to help you and your loved ones through whatever crimes they’ve been charged with.
Our attorneys carry more than 80 years of collective experience handling an innumerable number of cases ranging from murder and complex federal white collar matters to traffic cases. We are proud of the successes we have achieved on behalf of our clients. The results below summarize only a fraction of the types of cases our firm has handled and victories we have won, however, they provide a sample of the types of outcomes Dysart Willis Houchin & Hubbard has recently achieved.
Drug Crimes and Related Offenses
- Negotiated a dismissal of the charges on a Possession of Heroin case in Wake County.
- Negotiated reduction of Cocaine Trafficking and multiple firearms offenses carrying mandatory minimum active sentence to Attempted Trafficking and a probationary sentence.
- Negotiated numerous dismissals pursuant to misdemeanor and felony deferrals and conditional discharges
- Not guilty verdict for client charged in federal court with felon in possession of a firearm.
- Client was charged in federal court with the felony offense of being an illegal alien in possession of a firearm. After negotiation with the US Attorney’s Office, the felony gun charge was dismissed and our client entered a guilty plea for improper entry into the US and received credit for time served.
- Successfully negotiated dismissal of firearm and assault charge with District Attorney’s Office based on defendant’s willingness to complete gun safety training
- Negotiated reduction of client’s assault with a deadly weapon charge based on the fact that the weapon was an airsoft gun
Sex Offenses and Child Pornography
- Our client was charged with statutory rape and faced mandatory registration as a sex offender if convicted. We were able to work with a forensic expert and the district attorney’s office to negotiate a guilty plea to a misdemeanor assault that did not require our client to register as a sex offender.
- Client investigated by federal law enforcement for possessing child pornography. Ryan began representing the client during the investigation and ultimately the client was not charged with any crimes.
- Client charged with the felony of taking indecent liberties with a minor child and faced registering as a sex offender if convicted. The case was ultimately dismissed after Ryan negotiated a course of treatment for the client that convinced the district attorney’s office he was not a threat to reoffend.
Violent Crimes and Resisting Arrest
- Client charged with Felony Assault on a Police Officer, misdemeanor assault, and resisting an officer. After a jury trial where multiple police officers testified about the incident, our client was found not guilty of the felony Assault on a Police Officer. The jury found him guilty of misdemeanor assault and resisting arrest and he received a probationary sentence.
- Negotiated a plea deal reducing charges of First Degree Murder, where State was seeking the death penalty, to voluntary manslaughter.
Serious Traffic Offenses
- Negotiated a plea to unsafe movement infraction from the original charges of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and failure to stop for a stop sign.
- Secured a dismissal of client’s Failure to Stop for a School Bus based on State’s inability to prosecute the case.
- Obtained favorable trial result of not guilty on charges of simple assault and assault on a female.
- Client charged with Assault by Strangulation. After negotiations with the DA’s office, the charge was dismissed.
- Negotiated dismissal of charges including assault with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm within city limits for young client (19 years old).
- Not guilty Superior Court jury verdict following DWI trial based on State’s failure to prove the defendant was driving the vehicle at the time a single-car accident occurred.
- Won suppression motion in Superior Court challenging the constitutionality of the officer’s stop. Case dismissed.
- In a tragic case resulting in a fatality and other injuries, our attorneys worked closely with the District Attorney’s office to avoid an indictment on Felony Death by Motor Vehicle. Case was resolved with a probationary sentence following a plea to involuntary manslaughter and DWI.
- Not guilty verdicts in District Court in cases involving charges of impairment based on marijuana or prescription drug use.
- Numerous successful motions to dismiss challenging reasonable suspicion for the traffic stop and/or probable cause for arrest.
- Following unsuccessful District Court trial, appealed case to Superior Court and won motion to dismiss challenging the permissibility of “community caretaking” vehicle stop without reasonable suspicion as unconstitutional.
Corporate Investigations and Civil Penalties
- Successfully saved North Carolina business owners hundreds of thousands of dollars in civil penalties and fines sought by the North Carolina Industrial Commission under NCGS 97-94 including cases that were outright dismissed.
- Successfully negotiated non-prosecution agreement with USAO-EDNC for business under investigation for federal gambling offenses.
- Represented a client through the investigative phase of sex offense allegations resulting in the case being closed with no charges filed.
- Negotiated reduction of felony sex offenses carrying mandatory active sentences to misdemeanors with a probationary sentence.
- Not guilty verdict for client charged with simple assault and violation of a domestic violence protective order.
- Negotiated reduction of felony domestic violence charges including Common Law Robbery to a misdemeanor and a probationary sentence.
College Student Offenses
- Negotiated a dismissal of charges for a college student accused of using a fake ID.
- Represented a student who was charged with four violations of the Student Code of Conduct at a Student Conduct Hearing at UNC Greensboro. The panel found her not responsible on all four violations.
Breaking or Entering and Burglary
- Client charged with attempting to break into occupied home in the middle of the night. Client allowed to enter conditional discharge program to ultimately get charge dismissed.
- Secured dismissal of breaking and entering and injury to personal property charges by defendant’s successful completion of mental health treatment.
- Client charged with first degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon. The day trial was scheduled to start, the ADA agreed to an attempted voluntary manslaughter plea.
Request Your Initial Consultation Now
You will never be judged. Let us help you get through this. Available 24/7.